Cowries among the Me or Ekagi - Sibbele Hylkema

Heb je een boek gezien of gelezen dat interessant is? Meldt het hier en geef informatie over titel, auteur en prijs. En misschien en korte samenvatting of recentie?
Plaats reactie
Koen J de Jager

Cowries among the Me or Ekagi - Sibbele Hylkema

Bericht door Koen J de Jager »

Cowries among the Me or Ekagi - Sibbele Hylkema.jpg
Cowries among the Me or Ekagi - Sibbele Hylkema.jpg (22.84 KiB) 2318 keer bekeken
Hylkema, Sibbele,
edited by Anton Ploeg 2012
Cowries among the Me or Ekagi; The Impact of a new Currency on a Group of Central Highlanders in Papua, Indonesia.
Berlin Lit Verlag
Comparative Anthropological Studies in Society, Cosmology and Politics, Band 8, 2012,
paperback, 208 p.,
ISBN: 978-3-643-90200-9

Sibbele Hylkema ofm, 1933 - 1998, was a missionary who worked among the Me or Ekagi from 1969 to 1994.
But he was also a gifted ethnographer who left behind a large and impressive corpus of data dealing with these people. So far little of this work has been published.

The present book contains his analysis of the role of cowrie shells in the social life of the Me. They were a means of payment, "money", but simultaneously amulets charged with supernatural power.
Hylkema traces their rise, not long before the colonial era, and fall, in the 1970s and '80s.

Purchase on line:http://www.litwebshop.de/index.php?main ... s_id=10370

The editor, Anton Ploeg, is an honorary staff member of the Centre for Pacific and Asian Studies, Radboud University, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Plaats reactie